A Dramatic Retelling of the Online Midterm Experience

“Failed to load page.”

Quite possibly the worst message that could be displayed on your computer screen during an online, timed exam.

The message that appeared in front of me during my first college midterm.

Moments before, I was flying through each question, pressured by the time crunch of 75 multiple-choice questions in 60 minutes. I began to settle into a rhythm of answering questions as quickly and accurately as I could. My nerves calmed; it seemed that the stress festering within me in the nights before the exam was all for naught. Little did I know that the rhythm I had developed thus far would be hurled into cacophony as soon as I clicked to the next question. 

“Failed to load page.”

Upon reading the message, I launched into a full-on panic, desperately clicking the refresh button on the lockdown browser we were required to download for the exam. No matter how many times I clicked, this yielded no response, the cursed message still present on my otherwise blank screen. Its words seemed to morph into lips and taunt my lack of tech-savviness, exacerbating my alarm. The seconds seemed to tick by faster and faster, as if life had been set on 2x, 4x, 6x speed. My breath quickened. I could feel the particles of time slipping through my fingers. Images of a failing midterm grade flashed across my vision, as did the disapproving looks of professors, parents, and peers. 

And in the next moment, I snapped back to the task before me. Something had shaken me on the shoulders, awakening me from the panic. I closed the browser and re-opened my exam with no other issues. To my pleasant surprise, I was able to complete it with time to spare. Perhaps I was simply being dramatic. My professor, who I quickly emailed to inform her of the connectivity issue, was understanding; she even mentioned that several other students had this same problem.

I’m sure we’ve all encountered a similar situation during online classes or exams, especially considering the setting of Zoom University we endured over the past school year. However, I am grateful to have professors who are sympathetic to such technical difficulties, and may have experienced them firsthand as well. To those who are taking a midterm online, prepare yourselves for the possibility of connectivity issues and plan accordingly. Good luck on any midterms you have left, whether in-person or online!

Your friendly neighborhood Undeclared major,

Sabrina