In-person vs. Online Learning

With the majority of classes transitioning from online to in-person during Spring quarter, I believe that it is important to consider the advantages and disadvantages of the two learning settings. My class schedule during the past couple of quarters has primarily consisted of online or asynchronous learning. This may or may not be an unpopular opinion, but I enjoy online/asynchronous classes because they often rely on self-paced learning. I prefer being able to control the speed at which I learn and complete assignments in asynchronous classes, although I understand that many students do not hold the same viewpoint. I acknowledge that social interaction is highly limited in online/asynchronous settings, which can be considered one of the main drawbacks of these types of classes. After all, fostering connections with peers and building social networks is a core aspect of the college experience.

Because of this, I look forward to continuing to attend in-person classes over the course of the new quarter. It is far easier to create meaningful connections with other people when you are face-to-face rather than speaking to a computer screen during an online class. Furthermore, many students may be able to pay attention for longer periods of time when in person, as distractions can be more tempting when working online or asynchronously. However, in-person classes may be more inconvenient for students with long commutes. Furthermore, students may prefer to complete work in their own environment rather than the classroom. I am included in this population; I find that I am more comfortable and productive in my own quiet, private space than a public one.

So, weigh the pros and cons for a moment and consider your own opinion: do you prefer in-person or online classes? Why might that be? What additional advantages and disadvantages can you think of for either in-person or online classes?

Your friendly neighborhood Undeclared major,

Sabrina