2022-2023 Zot Blog: Meet Ian

Hi everyone! My name is Ian Su, and I’m so excited to be part of such an incredible group of students this year! I just recently arrived in Irvine from my hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas. Coming from a small private school (with a graduating class of 100) and being surrounded by so many fresh faces this past week has certainly kept me busy. While many people going in the U/U route already have a desired major they want to switch into, I truly am “undeclared.” I haven’t found anything that I’m genuinely passionate about yet, but that’s what college is for, isn’t it?

Being ethnically Taiwanese, I spent most of my summer in the mountains of Taiwan, participating in a summer program run by the Taiwanese government. Here, I taught English to Taiwanese kids alongside other teenagers who shared my Taiwanese heritage. Connecting with my roots in such a manner has made me want to keep exploring this part of me, leading to the next section of this blog: clubs.

Post Anteater Involvement Fair, I still haven’t decided what clubs I want to join. However, I plan to check out some clubs, such as the Blockchain Club, the Taiwanese American Organization, and the INSA dance group (even though I can’t dance). They all gave me free stuff (yay!), and they all have events soon that seem fun to attend. As I write this, I’ll be getting dinner and boba with the Taiwanese American Organization—who can say no to boba?

As a first-year student, I’m not sure what to expect. If every day is going to be as fun as the last few days have been, life at UCI will be as good as it gets. From meeting new people, the concert (my first one), the world record, and meeting even more new people, this has been one of the best weeks of my life. However, classes are about to start, and I’m a little bit apprehensive. I have always been the type to procrastinate, and my friends who went to college have all told me that I need to stop before college. I’ve always told them I would, but here I am writing this blog on the day it’s due (oops).

My biggest priorities this year are maintaining a high GPA, making friends, and having fun. I really am working on my procrastination problem (I swear), and I hope my last two goals can go hand in hand. If you ever see me on campus, come say hi! I’m always open to meeting new people, so don’t be shy!

Thanks for reading!

Ian