Looking to the future

Winter break has ended, and now I can officially say that I’ve survived a whole quarter of college. It seems like only yesterday I was still a high school student, wondering to myself what life in college would be like. But now, here I am with an entire quarter under my belt. 

This next quarter, I plan to build on what I learned from last quarter. Now that I don’t have a writing class, I have no excuse to take as many all-nighters as last quarter. In fact, my class schedule this quarter is incredibly light, so my goal for this quarter is to not have to do any all-nighters at all. Speaking of, I really like my class schedule. I’m taking Anthropology 2A, Econ 20B, Math 2A, and University Studies 3. Three of these classes are online, which in my opinion makes the classes easier. I have in-person discussions throughout the week, but the only official in-person class I have is my University Studies 3 class, which is a chill photography class that meets one time a week. 

So far, everything class-wise has been going great. Even though it has only been two weeks, I hope things will continue to go in the right direction. This quarter, I want to try to secure an internship for the summer. As of right now, I have no plans for this summer, but I want to try and do something productive. (Especially since I did nothing but sleep and play video games over winter break)

As a U/U major, I was at first hesitant to the idea of getting an internship before I declared a major. However, after talking to other people, I have come to the conclusion that getting experience is a great thing as a freshman, even if I’m not 100% sure of what I want to do in the future. This summer, I want to get an internship related to my current prospective major, business economics. By doing this, I will be able to achieve two things: my short-term goal, which is to have something to do over the summer, and my long-term goal of building up experience to eventually work at a job that I enjoy. 

At my summer orientation (SPOP), I remember listening to a man talk about undergraduate research. In his talk, one way he advocated for research was the idea that “if you didn’t like it, at least you know you don’t like it now.” This really stuck with me, I realized it was a good mindset to have regarding trying new things. Mirroring this over to my upcoming summer, I will be trying to be an intern. If I do like it, great! But if I don’t like it, no problem. That just means I’ve narrowed down my options for the coming years.

Thanks for reading,

Ian