Thank You!

I would like to take a moment to extend my gratitude, my sincere appreciation, to everyone who gave their time, their ideas, and their expertise to this event, in effect making it happen. After I had to cancel the symposium last spring due to the COVID-19 quarantine, it wasn’t at all clear when or whether we would get another chance. But this amazing event has taken flight due to all involved. To the UCI students currently enrolled in English 11 and to those who’ve taken the class over the past few years, and to those students giving presentations, thank you for your rigor, your passion, and for making our learning environment such a vibrant place for all of us to study and talk ideas. To Dalton Salvo, PhD student in UCI’s English Dept., for vision and insight regarding web design, and for always forwarding ideas to keep us learning about how we might communicate and deliberate more effectively in online spaces. To Brian Flores, PhD student in UCI’s English Dept., for excellent design ideas and for helping to keep the wheels from falling off along the way, especially at the end. To Dwayne Pack, Directer of Computing for UCI’s School of Humanities, for running the show and for making this look easy. To Michelle Deutchman and Brenda Pitcher from the UC National Center for Free Speech and Civic Engagement for helping to keep things steadily on track and for their always affirming words. To Judy Wu and Amanda Swain from the UCI Humanities Center for their sponsorship and assistance with outreach. To Jason Kwock for being there and making sure things stayed together. Lastly, I would like the symposium’s speakers: Chancellor Gillman, Brook Thomas, Jane Stoever, David Kaye, Buddy Cassidy, Michelle Deutchman, and Mark Deppe & the Esports Crew for their brilliance and their willingness to speak with us.

I am honored to share the virtual stage and podium with you all.

Thank you.

Bradley Queen