UCI Experience from an International Student

UC Irvine was my first choice as a University to pursue Master of Science abroad and today I write this line with a contented and exulted heart that the decision to choose UCI and become a fellow anteater worked out fantastically well! I remember the days in my home country, India when I used to look up on the internet for the webpages of Professors at UCI, research work at several research centers and laboratories at UCI, courses to select as part of my study, attractions around UCI and lastly its proximity to Los Angeles and San Diego. To be frank, I am quite happy that I lived through and followed all of them while staying here in this beautiful city of Irvine.

One of the major elements that drove me towards UCI was the cutting edge and state of the art research in the area of telecommunications and networks at the department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS). An excellent evidence for that are the novel research publications that are coming out every year and the bright scholars that UCI is producing year after year. It is like an amalgamation of knowledge and human brain which can create wonders! The course structure is an added benefit that students get when they learn under Professors who are pioneers in their own fields. I think, with respect to that, UCI has created its own class and niche as a public research university.

Be it the closeness to the beaches, living in one of the America’s safest cities, having the luxury to live in one of the America’s posh residences or to enjoy the great southern California’s weather, the list goes on making anyone urging to settle here and spend the rest of their lives here. Being a student, I was fortunate enough to have lived and experienced every moment of it during the two crucial years of my life at Irvine. Also, staying away from home always has the advantage of learning important lessons of life be it personally or professionally provided one is willing to embrace it with open mind and kind heart. In that sense, Irvine esp. UCI has played a great role in shaping my personality much better!

Being a sole student from my home country in my chosen field of study for the batch of 2010 admitted international students, interactions with fellow students from other nationalities or with the locals was a pure fun. Eating at the University Town Center, enjoying some real merriment at the Anteater Recreation Center (ARC), interacting with people at the Cross Cultural Center, hanging out at the Student Center, putting on the hiking shoes for long hikes, long hours of work at the research labs, taking a stroll through the Aldrich Park, etc. are some of the memorable events that took place. After all, these are the kind of experiences that make people and a place very special. At the same time, I should acknowledge and appreciate the support and help that UCI International Center and UCI – SPICMACAY (Society for the Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture among Youth), an on-campus student organization, provided me during my stay at UCI.

In a nutshell, the whole experience at UCI has been incredible, cerebral, electrifying and something which I can always fall back to for happiness, self-motivation and inspiration. Thank you UCI! Zot! Zot! Zot!

Balaji Raao
Electrical Engineering Major
MS in Electrical & Computer Engineering
Class of 2012

This entry was posted in Balaji Raao. Bookmark the permalink.