Freewrite #1: Interesting Event

One of the most interesting events that happened to me was on Saturday, two days before Veterans Day when my high school friend (let’s call him Michael) and I decided to go for a hike and catch up. We haven’t seen each other for a while and we both were excited about this hike. We left around 4:00 pm, anticipating be back home around 8 or 9 pm most because the hike wasn’t too long.
A couple of hours went by we talked about a lot of things: college, classes, workload, balancing, health, career, and life in general. It was a fun and relaxed trip until my friend said: “Let’s go back to the parking lot and grab dinner.” I agreed and started to head back from the trail we walked on, only to realize something was off.
“Shouldn’t there be a sign somewhere saying what trail it is and how long it was?” I asked. There was no sign anywhere and it was getting dark.
“What about the map?” Michael asked. We pulled out the map and tried to make sense of our location, but it was no help.
“Let me just use the GPS and we are out of here,” I said. I pulled out my cell phone, but to our dismay, I had no service.
“Hey I don’t have any service, could you check yours?” I asked anxiously. Michael had no service either.
“We are lost aren’t we.” pointed out Michael. I nodded slowly while trying to figure out a way to get back to the car. We decided to walk back on the unknown trail we were on and hope to see another human being or a sign or intersection. About an hour later, we had no luck but we kept walking. It was around 9:30 pm my phone buzzed with concern messages and phone calls from my parents and I realized we finally got the network. GPS led us out back to the car and I was never more glad to see a car or a parking lot until that day. We drove back home, and I explained to my concern parents what really happened.
Looking back, I realized we would have an easier time getting out if it wasn’t for how dark it got, because of the daylight savings time. But even more, I realized both my friend and I kept our cool and didn’t panic. Sure we got scared of snakes possibly slithering around, but we kept marching. Now, everytime we talk about this event, we laugh about the interesting event that happened.