Short Letter to Thyself From the Future

Normally I would start my intro by saying “What’s Up!” or “How are you doing?!”, but I am way too tired to say anything. So if you are reading this, let me tell you about the content before you start reading this letter. This letter is written at the end of my first fall quarter, and to be read by me before the fall quarter. So, as a future college student speaking, I have composed a list of things it would be best if you knew before coming to college:

Academics:
In any course, ALWAYS go ask the professor to review your mistakes on your midterms. Please do this if you don’t want your grades to suffer for your mistake. The professors are really nice and kind, and they will help you. It does seem intimidating, but don’t worry. Just be yourself and ask questions.

Whenever taking notes, I (from the future) saw that you do better in classes when you handwrite your notes. So in every class applicable, take written notes, and pay attention in class too, even if the lecture is posted online.

Every day, please try to review your notes you went over in class when you go back home. You will be demotivated to do so as the major things that determine your grade is midterm and finals, but please do review note when applicable.

In terms of picking classes:
If you are in the major you want or love: well then don’t worry about anything else
If you are not in the major you want or love and are planning to change your current major: picking courses will be a little rough and frustrating, especially when you are the first year, which means a low priority (usually those with a higher credits get higher priorty, but not always the case. AP credits do count towards determining your standing.

Social Life:
Over the course of weeks, you will start living more in your room, only going outside for classes, food, and some extracurricular activities. Because of that, your interaction with people will slow down, so try to go outside and go and talk to people.

Throughout the ten weeks, you will make some really good friends, so make sure you keep in touch because maintaining a friendship will take more effort than you realize.

When you apply for things in the involvement fair, don’t just focus on professional/career development programs. It’s good but balance it with something you enjoy. A good example: join the cricket club, or the Zot Blog program. (Hint: DO APPLY! TRUST ME, YOU WILL BE GLAD TO DO IT!)

Personal Development:
I value in personal development a lot, and a college is a great place for personal development. However, there were challenges.
You will notice you will end up getting rejected a lot, and it hurts, but move on and learn where you went wrong. Don’t be afraid to ask people, where you went wrong

Love life:
Currently, the file doesn’t exist.

Overall: it will be a great year, and there are a lot of challenges, but there is two major advice I want you to keep in your head: have a good time management and don’t lose yourself and your ideas/goals. Because everything is fast-paced, you lose yourself into other things, so be careful. That and enjoy, because time flies FAST and you won’t get this opportunity again.