Time Flies – Midterm season #2

WHAT’S UP EVERYONE !!!

In my previous post, I delved into the challenges of my recent midterm experience, which was far from enjoyable. Now, I’d like to discuss my approach to preparing for the upcoming midterms, armed with the lessons learned from the previous round.

I’ve already created a study schedule for two of my crucial classes, chemistry and biology. Hopefully I follow through with it because my grades will reflect this. While it’s truly disheartening to face another set of midterms so soon, I am determined to approach them with a more strategic and confident mindset. Despite feeling somewhat unprepared, I see the upcoming three-day weekend for Veterans Day as a valuable opportunity to catch up on my classes and intensify my midterm preparations.

Although, recently I’ve been grappling with a severe cold that has taken a toll on me throughout this past week. This illness has hindered my ability to attend some classes, reaching a point where I found it challenging to even leave my bed without feeling nauseous. Fortunately, my roommate has been a tremendous support, providing me with a stash of essentials – cough drops, cough medicine, throat soothing remedies, honey and lemon water, and copious amounts of soup. I have been surviving off of cough drops and soup. Lots of chicken soup. I hope that I can recover soon because with midterm season approaching once again, I’m not sure how I’ll be able to survive in this state. 

At the moment, I’m still learning about more effective ways of studying rather than spending hours on end mindlessly studying and in the end, not retaining anything. For my upcoming exams, I am going to utilize a whiteboard and brain dump everything I know about a certain topic, and for the areas I missed or am struggling with, try to focus more on those missing components. Furthermore, I am also going to try ensuring I am constantly completing practice problems. Practice problems are the key to succeeding in that you’ll be ready for the type of questions that will be asked. Something I enjoy utilizing is that I set a timer every hour to take a ten-twenty minute break, like the Pomodoro technique. In this break time, I utilize it to get my heart moving, while providing a break for my brain. I would go outside and complete a walk, a quick jog, or even stretch in my room. 

Some of my late night studying snacks include celsius mixed with chips. Not the most ideal or healthiest mix, but when I’m stressed, this is something I continue to indulge in. Although, hopefully this time around I won’t be staying up late, and actually getting a good night’s rest.

As always, good luck with midterms :’) !!! Put your mental health first and HAPPY THANKSGIVING (in two weeks) !!