What’s happening to EEE MessageBoard?
EEE Canvas provides a robust class discussion tool, with most of the features of EEE MessageBoards. Because of this, EEE MessageBoards will be retired.
For non-instructional discussion boards, Google Groups provides similar functionality through UCI Google Apps.
When will EEE MessageBoard be retired?
MessageBoard is scheduled to be retired after the Winter 2019 quarter and we encourage all EEE MessageBoard users to explore the alternate tools available within OIT provided-tools.
What should I use instead?
The alternatives listed for each use case are described in further detail in the “List of alternatives” section, below.
|Use case||OIT-supported Alternative|
|Class-based discussion forums||EEE Canvas Discussions|
|Non-class-based discussion forums||Google Groups|
|Anonymous discussion forums||None (see below)|
List of alternatives to EEE MessageBoard
EEE MessageBoard facilitates sharing of information, asynchronous communication and response to prompts. The alternatives listed for each use case are described in further detail in the “List of alternatives” section, below.
EEE Canvas Discussions
EEE Canvas provides a comprehensive forum feature, integrated with the course space. Discussions are also available to groups.
- What are Discussions: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3188
- How to allow students to create discussions: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2791
- Learn more about Discussions: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Discussions
- Learn more about Groups: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Groups
Available within the OIT-support Google Apps, Google Groups are a handy way to communicate with a custom group of individuals.
- UCI Google Apps: http://google.uci.edu/
- Request a Google Group: https://apps.oit.uci.edu/google_group_request/
What about anonymous discussion forums?
EEE has long provided anonymous discussion forums for class-use; however, Canvas does not. We, along with other large Canvas users, are continuing to advocate for this feature to Instructure.
Still have questions?
If you still have questions about EEE MessageBoard please do not hesitate to Contact Us.
It’s important we know what you need so we can work to ensure this is a smooth transition; we want to hear from you!