The transition to Canvas continues. In Fall 2017, the first round of tool retirements were announced. The following graphic illustrates the timelines and future retirement phases:
Retirement involves several sub-phases:
- Announcements within the tool
- When appropriate, creation of export tools to migrate content from EEE Legacy to Canvas
- Transition to read-only archive for 1 full academic year
- Eventual deletion of the tool
Additional details will be announced over the next several weeks.
Your feedback is vital to this process; please reach out to us with any questions, comments, or concerns.
The Canvas updates launched on November 18th, 2017 will include a variety of usability updates and enhancements, including:
- Ability to remove the course homepage designation from a page
- Updated interface to move module items to different modules
- Updated interface to move students to different groups
- Ability to duplicate criterion within a rubric
- Accessibility updates throughout the system
Learn more about the updates: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13339
Note about the new gradebook: The Canvas release notes mention a new gradebook; this feature is currently in an early stage, and must be enabled manually on a course-by-course basis ahead of its full launch.
In addition, UCI has customized the existing gradebook with several features that will need to be updated to support the new gradebook.
Given the importance of stability and reliability in the grades tool, OIT is also testing and reviewing the new version to ensure it is ready for use.
The EEE Team recently enabled a feature in the Canvas calendar called Scheduler Workflow. This change removes the previously-existing Scheduler button from the Canvas interface, and folds that functionality into area where you create a new event in the Canvas calendar.
To create a Scheduler appointment group, go to Calendar and click the + button.
For more on Scheduler Workflow, another institution helpfully posted this:
As part of the transition to Canvas, the following tools will be placed into a “read only” retired state at the end of Summer 2018. A “read only” retirement state means the tool will still be available to visit for past information, but will no longer update with new information or be available for taking new actions. We encourage faculty, staff, and students to begin transitioning away from these tools and share any feedback or unmet needs during this year-long period, before the tools enter this state
Tools entering “read only” retired state at the end of Summer 2018 are:
- MyEEE: Used to view class information, access course resources, and view other related UCI information. EEE+ GrandCentral will be enhanced to provide much of the functionality currently in MyEEE for all classes, whether or not they are using Canvas.
- MyEEE Tasks: Displays a subset of available tasks in EEE Legacy Quiz and other tools. Canvas provides equivalent functionality within course spaces and on the Dashboard.
- MyEEE Announcements: Allows instructors to distribute short announcements to classes. Canvas provides equivalent functionality within course spaces. The EEE Legacy Class Mailing Lists can also be used for this purpose.
- EEE Access UCI Rosters: Displays Access UCI enrollment in classes, and provides a link to the Registrar’s WebRoster tool. EEE+ GrandCentral will be enhanced to include this information for all classes, whether or not they are using Canvas.
Each of the above tools also has an in-tool announcement providing access to more information.