The Division of Teaching Excellence and Innovation (DTEI) offers teaching consultation and support to help faculty transition from EEE Legacy to the Canvas platform. Below, you’ll find information on two DTEI-offered one-on-one support opportunities aimed at helping you easily move your courses. Please note that the schedule listed below is for Winter 2018 only. For the most up-to-date information, see http://dtei.uci.edu/digitallearning/canvas-transition-center/.
DTEI strongly encourages registration or R.S.V.P. to ensure the quality of support provided as well as minimizing the wait time.
(1) The EEE/Canvas Transition Workshop
· Date: Every Friday between Feb. 2 – Mar. 30, 2018
· Time: from 11am to 1pm or 3pm to 5pm
· Location: AIRB 1030 (The 1st floor)
· Registration: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZGDZ2XB
(2) The Open Lab
· Date: Every Wednesday and Thursday between Jan. 31 – Mar. 16, 2018
· Time: from 11 am to 1 pm
· Location: AIRB 3010 (The 3rd floor)
· R.S.V.P. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3LN57TC
Faculty can also contact DTEI support and get their questions answered via email. Just send an email to DTEIsupport@uci.edu and one of their support staff will contact you shortly.
If you would like your waitlisted students to have access to Canvas, you can add them using EEE+ GrandCentral.
To add Additional Students to your course, please follow these steps:
1. Go to ‘People’ in your Canvas course space
2. Click on ‘+People’
3. You will be redirected to EEE+ GrandCentral and should see the
‘Additional Students’ tab for your course
4. Press the ‘Add additional students’ button
5. In the box provided, enter the UCInetIDs of everyone you wish to add, following the formatting guidelines given. Do not enter email addresses (e.g., anteater, not email@example.com).
6. Click ‘Next’. The information of matched individuals should be
7. Click on the ‘Add people’ button to add the students as Additional
Students to your course space.
Once done, the student(s) should be able to access and participate in your course space within approximately 1 hour.
Once the student is officially enrolled in the course then you can remove them as an Additional Student if/when that becomes appropriate.
The Canvas updates launched on November 18th, 2017 will include a variety of usability updates and enhancements, including:
- Ability to remove the course homepage designation from a page
- Updated interface to move module items to different modules
- Updated interface to move students to different groups
- Ability to duplicate criterion within a rubric
- Accessibility updates throughout the system
Learn more about the updates: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13339
Note about the new gradebook: The Canvas release notes mention a new gradebook; this feature is currently in an early stage, and must be enabled manually on a course-by-course basis ahead of its full launch.
In addition, UCI has customized the existing gradebook with several features that will need to be updated to support the new gradebook.
Given the importance of stability and reliability in the grades tool, OIT is also testing and reviewing the new version to ensure it is ready for use.
The EEE Team recently enabled a feature in the Canvas calendar called Scheduler Workflow. This change removes the previously-existing Scheduler button from the Canvas interface, and folds that functionality into area where you create a new event in the Canvas calendar.
To create a Scheduler appointment group, go to Calendar and click the + button.
For more on Scheduler Workflow, another institution helpfully posted this:
As part of the transition to Canvas, the following tools will be placed into a “read only” retired state at the end of Summer 2018. A “read only” retirement state means the tool will still be available to visit for past information, but will no longer update with new information or be available for taking new actions. We encourage faculty, staff, and students to begin transitioning away from these tools and share any feedback or unmet needs during this year-long period, before the tools enter this state
Tools entering “read only” retired state at the end of Summer 2018 are:
- MyEEE: Used to view class information, access course resources, and view other related UCI information. EEE+ GrandCentral will be enhanced to provide much of the functionality currently in MyEEE for all classes, whether or not they are using Canvas.
- MyEEE Tasks: Displays a subset of available tasks in EEE Legacy Quiz and other tools. Canvas provides equivalent functionality within course spaces and on the Dashboard.
- MyEEE Announcements: Allows instructors to distribute short announcements to classes. Canvas provides equivalent functionality within course spaces. The EEE Legacy Class Mailing Lists can also be used for this purpose.
- EEE Access UCI Rosters: Displays Access UCI enrollment in classes, and provides a link to the Registrar’s WebRoster tool. EEE+ GrandCentral will be enhanced to include this information for all classes, whether or not they are using Canvas.
Each of the above tools also has an in-tool announcement providing access to more information.