The California Lottery and Education

Part of the money invested in the California lottery goes to public education in California.  The formula has gotten more complex than the older 34% rule, so I will just report on the results here, taken from the California lottery website: www.calottery.com

The lottery provides 1.5% of the states’ public school budget.  It is distributed to school districts and education levels on a uniform per student enrolled basis.  The  total provided since the beginning of the lottery in 1985 is $24 billion.  The funds are broken up by level to:  K-12, 76.71%; Community College, 16.22%; Cal State Universities, 4.30%; and the University of California, 2.70%.

The University of California has received $535 million from the lottery since its beginning, and received $27 million in 2011.

This entry was posted in University Funding and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.