The Latest California Redistricting Draft Removes UCI from the 45th to the 49th Coastal District

The Latest California Redistricting Draft Removes the UC Irvine Area from the 45th to 49th Coastal District

According to the OC Register the UCI area in the latest redistricting draft has moved into the coastal 49th district.  This also includes most of Irvine between the 405 and the 5 Freeways.  The Register map calls it the 19th, by accident, I presume.  The 45 district, where UCI is currently and covers Irvine, has grown oversized , so two parts are put into neighboring districts.  Unfortunately, UCI law professor Katie Porter, who is the Democratic representative of the 45th district, lives near the campus and her home will no longer be in the 45th.  However, she can still run for the district.  She has won twice, in this previously solid Republican district.  But it will be tougher in the future for her to be reelected.

The 49th district, once the solid turf of the not too solid Republican Dana Rohrbacher, was won for one term by Democrat Harley Rouda.   But in the last election, Rouda lost out to conservative Republican Michelle Steel, who’s voting record is almost identical to that of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy.  It was her district which suffered the Huntington Beach oil spill of a few weeks ago.  Her Energy and Environment web page still has the absurd statement that our offshore oil is necessary to keep the military running, despite local oil being only 0.3% of US oil usage.  Rep. Steel also lost Little Saigon, and also no longer lives in the district.  So Harvey Rouda has a good chance to beat her in 2022.

Here is the Current 49th map:

Here is the Draft 49th map:

Personally, even though I live near UCI, I am delighted to be included with the beach scene, since I enjoy walking there and watching the sports.  I even used to sail in the bay.  I am also very aware of the challenges to keep our shores and sea life healthy and protected.

About Dennis SILVERMAN

I am a retired Professor of Physics and Astronomy at U C Irvine. For two decades I have been active in learning about energy and the environment, and in reporting on those topics for a decade. For the last four years I have added science policy. Lately, I have been reporting on the Covid-19 pandemic of our times.
This entry was posted in 2018 Midterm Election, 2020 Election, 2022 Election, Climate Change, Coastal Flooding, Coastal States, Congress, Conservation, Fossil Fuel Energy, Harley Rouda, Huntington Beach Oil Spill, Katie Porter, Laguna Beach Rally, No More Drilling, Oil, Sea Level Rise, US Oil. Bookmark the permalink.