What if One Presidential Candidate Wins the Popular Vote, and the Other the Electoral Vote?

Since the Electoral Vote is the only one that matters for getting elected, all of the political genius of the candidates advisers and the candidate’s positions, and their funds and the PACS are directed to winning the electoral vote.  The popular vote falls where it may.  So if a candidate wins the popular vote now, they really cannot claim a moral victory, since neither campaign had that as its goal.  If the country miraculously switched to a true popular vote, all of the positions, ads, funds, rallies, and activists would be directed to that end.  Only then would winning the popular vote have a true meaning.

About Dennis SILVERMAN

I am a retired Professor of Physics and Astronomy at U C Irvine. For two decades I have been active in learning about energy and the environment, and in reporting on those topics for a decade. For the last four years I have added science policy. Lately, I have been reporting on the Covid-19 pandemic of our times.
This entry was posted in Politics. Bookmark the permalink.